Managing our corporate responsibility
Awards and Recognition
- Named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) in 2011 and to DJSI North America Index in 2010 and 2011.
- Placed on Ethibel Excellence investment register, Ethical Global Equity and ECPI Global Carbon Indices.
- Named among Canada’s 50 Most Socially Responsible Corporations by Maclean’s magazine and Jantzi Social Index for fourth consecutive year.
- Named as one of Canada’s Best 50 Corporate Citizens by Corporate Knights in 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- Achieved a ranking of 19th out of 253 Canadian companies in The Globe and Mail 2011 corporate governance survey, the highest ranking among Canadian gold producers. In 2010, ranked 33rd out of 187.
Health and Safety
- At Chirano, received 2011 National Safety and First Aid Competition Award for second time, with a final score of 89% – the highest ever recorded in the history of the competition.
- At La Coipa, received prestigious 2011 John T. Ryan Safety Award for excellence in safety performance from the Chilean Institute of Mining Engineers.
- At La Coipa, received Atacama Regional Committee of Safe Mining Award for being one of the safest mines in the region, achieving 3.8 million hours without an LTI.
- In 2010, Round Mountain, Kettle River-Buckhorn and Fort Knox, all in the U.S., recognized for outstanding safety achievement, each winning their state’s Sentinel of Safety award in the Large Mill Category. Round Mountain was also the national runner-up in this category.
- In 2011, named one of Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures by Waterstone Human Capital, a leading executive search and professional recruitment firm.
- In 2010, Kinross in Ecuador was recognized as one of the Great Places to Work in Ecuador, the only mining company in Ecuador to make the list, and the only mining company in the country to ever win the award.
- Named one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for 2011.
- At La Coipa in 2010, received GE Ecomagination Leadership Award for reduced water use, benefitting one of the most water-stressed areas of Chile.
- At Mineral Hill in Montana, received U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s Hardrock Mineral Environmental Award in 2011 for exceptional performance and as a model of land reclamation excellence.
- At Paracatu in 2011, recognized by Benchmarking Brazil as one of the best corporate environmental managers in the country for its contributions to the revitalization and preservation of Rico Creek in Paracatu.